Sunday, June 28, 2009

27 June, 2009 - Erie to Ann Arbor

Traffic Bad. Iced Mocha Makes You Feel Good

Up early today to get back ont he road and also explore Erie PA a little bit. We helped ourselves to coffee in the common room of the B&B and said goodbye to Chris, our host as we settled the bill. We got hugs at no extra charge. We decided to visit the Presque Isle State Park by car and got out to have a look at the beaches and the lighthouse. The sand was very very soft under my toes and the water warmer than I expected. As lake Erie is freshwater the sand fell right off even befoer I managed to get back to my shoes. I love lakes. We saw a young man helping a turtle cross the road. A highlight of the tour. I also saw a deer again. That's the third time in 4 days.

Big Brekkie at McDonald's just before the 11am cutoff. Fabri wanted to know how I knew about it and I explained that I'd been traumatised many a time in my yough hankering for the MickeyD's brekkie just after 11. We turned back to the counter at the end of the conversation to see that the board has already changed. There was a full-on American weirdo at McDonald's and I had forgotten that was their haunt. He was mumbling behind me that 'someone's asking to get their head kicked in in a minute'.I just gave him a bit of space. Then I saw on the other end of the people waiting was the random psycho for that end of the restaurant yelling at a lady saying 'I don't tolerate nobody standing behind me m'aam'. She quickly displaced herself (makes it hard to stand in line though). I swear, I think there's something in the water or the vaccinations here are doing more than the Canadian ones are. I think we're gboing to try to avoid McDonald's as much as possible from now on. Thinking about it that's probably good pèractice in any situation.

Stopped in Cleveland but not for long. We couldn't find quarters for the meter and weren't really all that motivated to explore the rocka nd roll hall of fame so we decided to head up o where the University is to see some of the museums around there, but when we got there we weren't feeling like going in there either. Instead we tried out a few gas stations which were very dodgy and didn't work, then we decided to try to find a bank to take out some money but it turns out all the banks are closed on Saturdays and they don't have cash machines on the outside. At the second attempt we decided it was time to get out of Cleveland and head someplace a bit more our style.

We stopped in Avon at a county yard sale to see what they had and decided that come retirement it would make sense to ship junk from the states to Europe. A Rosebud style sled sold for 10 dollars here could claim at least 200 Euros in Milan. How much could a shipping container cost? People must make a fortune int he import export market. People only want what they don't already have and can never see what they do. This applies to all things, not just the material. I'm also guilty. I bought another paperdoll.

I doze in and out of the leg to Ann Arbor and accidentally cause a detour when I do awake and distract Fabri with my harmonica practice. Yesterday I learnt to play Silent Night by ear and it's the first time I've ever figured out ANYTHING on an instrument all by myself so I'm completely psyched.

We arrive to the dodgy motel around 5:30pm and I struggle to remember why I chose it out of all the options. It is neither convieniently located or nice in any way possible. I decide my choice must have been strategic to offset the cost of hotels further along the trip. We quickly change shirts and head to the downtown area.

We walk up and down main street scrutinising the restaurants before stopping at the Ann Arbor Brewing Company for a pint. I have a strongbow from the bottle and Fabri has a home brew off their menu. I paint an innacurate depiction of the place and Fabri deletes some of the photos he was unsuccesful taking while driving. I notice all the studently folk being young, free and completely clueless. I concur.

After the cider, which always puts me in a good mood, we head back off on the restaunt hunt and settle upon a seafood place, of all things. I ahve clam chowder and swordfish with pineapples and Fabri has a Filet Mignon. We finish a bottle of Californian Pinot Grigio and call it a night. We're both tired and it's best not to have another discussion about hw stupid tipping might be in North America. I see it all as part of the journey. I remember the guys trying to steal our bags in India for a tip.
Visualizzazione ingrandita della mappa


312 mi – circa 5 ore 23 min

Accomodation:




http://www.lamppostinn.com/ann-arbor-breakfast-bed.html
2424 E.Stadium Blvd. Ann Arbor, MI 48104

In the heart of downtown Ann Arbor, Michigan, and only moments away from the University of Michigan campus, this hotel offers comfortable accommodations in a centralized and convenient location.

The Lamp Post Inn is ideally situated close to many of the city's most popular attractions. A variety of sports venues, the university's renowned medical centers, shopping districts and restaurants are located only a short distance from the hotel.

Guests at the Lamp Post can start their morning with a complimentary continental breakfast or check their email with the hotel's free wireless internet access.

Wireless internet is available in the entire hotel and is free of charge. Free public parking is possible on site.

1 comment:

Jude said...

It's great to read about your journeying!! Well done on the harmonica achievement :) Have fun at the next destination! x