Wednesday, July 08, 2009

July 8th - Los Angeles to Pismo Beach via Santa Barbara

We wake up and get ready to leave the hotel without too much stress. We start driving North West and stop to take photos at a drive in movie theatre. Then we stop in Santa Barbara for lunch at a mexican restaurant. The waitress is 100% redone. Including her voice. We drive further north and arrive at Pismo Beach around 3 or 4.

The resort is really nice. We get the north facing sea view which also looks over the pool, change into swimsuits and head down to the beach for a long walk. We pass all sorts of intersting things. Seaweed, flies, logs, rocks, giant gross jelly fish... then we walk along to the pier but decide not to go on it because it's very long and seems to be mostly for fishing.


We walk back along the beach and sit down for a little while int he sand. It's not at all warm out but it's sweet to watch the waves. We head up the stairs to where the pool area is and a guest at the top asks if we'd seen the whales as I'm washing my feet. 'No' I say and turn back towards where he's pointing to where I see some shoots of water and air fromt he surface. 'Oh wow! Whales!' I say as I look out at the distant commotion, knowing all to well the sand and sea I'm washing off is from that water moments before. And then I see them, frolicking in the waves; 'Are those dolphins?' I watch as I see the dark forms breaking the surface much closer to shore. They're not whales, no chance... not deep enough. Yup, must be dolphins... or maybe... Maybe... no... it couldn't be. Could it? No.... far too playful right? And anyhow they don't hunt in packs like that do they? Do they? Do they? No. No no no. Dolphins. Right?


Sharks.


No no no no no. Dolphins. And anyhow... I'm high up here on this bluff aren't I? I should n't be worriesd about what kind of sea creature is our there in the surf (now feeding off pelicans... spread of blood forming and bubbling in the foam). It's just my imagination.


I hop into the pool. Fabri joins me and we play around for a bit but there's even bigger kids than me around and they're better at jumping and shouting and splashing so it doesn't last too long. We switch to the hottub and then back to relax. As a final measure I sit at the edge of the pool with my feet dangling in and feel truly and deeply happy. The sun on my face, and my eyes closed.

Showered and changed for dinner we drive the nothing distance to the centre and give it a quick tour before deciding on an Italian and being seated at their bar while we wait. I order, again, erronously, a white wine that's FAR too sweet for my pallette (I curse Bennigan's bar for this misfortune ont he trip). Once seated we share and asparagus starter and 2 pizzas, which are actually very very good.


Satisfied.

Sudden sleep and no time for blogging. Too full and nice a day.


TRAVEL
Los Angeles
to Pismo Beach via Santa Barbara

BigMap


ACCOMODATION
Sea Crest Resort
http://www.seacrestpismo.com/

2241 Price Street
Pismo Beach, CA. 93449

No comments: