Friday, July 06, 2007

Week 1 at Animation Mentor


Animation Mentor started Monday and I'm already feeling great about it.

My mentor is CHRIS CHUA. He used to work for PDI, Rough Draft, Rhythm and Hues, and Dreamworks Animation and studied animation at CalArts. He worked on Shark's Tale and Flushed Away while at Dreamworks. I met with him for the first time in the weekly Q&A on Wednsday. There were quite a few technical he still got our hears churning.

I went out and bought a new sketchbook (and a vintage 2nd-hand leather bag to carry it in) in honour of the start of classes. Chris said that we chould be drawing all the time. The drawings don't ahve to even be good, but that we should just practice practice practice. I managed to get some rough sketches in while on the tram yesterday, but nothing which stands out too strongly. This one here is a woman reading the paper.

No assignment for this first week except to introduce ourselves to the rest of the class and Chris, fill in the profile, upload a video diary entry (mine is pathetic I should change it), and participate in the scavenger hunt.

I've been watching everything the site has to offer. Tons of info and alot of help. I especially liked the segment on 2D animation. Everything is starting to make sense. And I'm also learning why my attempts at learning this stuff went so badly in the past.

I'm almost half-way throogh Disney's Illusion of Life. It's fascinating. WALT DISNEY is now almost my greatest hero.

No comments: